Throwback Thursday – Updated Recommended Reading and Viewing Page
This is the fifth post in our new Throwback Thursday’s Series, where we share with you posts from the past blogs to bring you as much value as possible.
I’m not posting a ‘normal’ article today, instead I’m posting the updated Recommended Reading and Viewing Page in full below.
Because one of the questions I get asked most is some version of the question “What are some great books you recommend?”
Well these books, sites and videos are some of the best resources I’ve learned from over the years.
This is the most up to date version of the MOST viewed page on this blog every single year. This update includes 11 new book recommendations.
I know the resources on this post and on the Recommended Reading and Viewing page can help you reach your goals.
Recommended Reading and Viewing
The following list is in no particular order other than denoted by the MUST READ!!! designation. The MUST READ!!! are things that I think every serious value investor / thinker should read no matter what.
Books / PDFs / Buffett Letters
- The Intelligent Investor MUST READ!!!
- Security Analysis MUST READ!!!
- You Too Can Be a Stock Market Genius MUST READ!!!
- Warren Buffett’s Partnership letters MUST READ!!!
- Warren Buffett’s Shareholder letters MUST READ!!!
- Man, Economy, and State, with Power and Market MUST READ!!!
- Margin of Safety MUST READ!!!
- The Davis Dynasty
- Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond by Bruce Greenwald
- The Greatest Trade Ever: The Behind-the-Scenes Story of How John Paulson Defied Wall Street and Made Financial History
- Quality of Earnings MUST READ!!!
- Damn Right: Behind The Scenes With Berkshire Hathaway Billionaire Charlie Munger MUST READ!!!
- 25iq.com MUST READ!!! Aggregated Charlie Munger thoughts on just about everything
- Dream Big – The Story of 3G Capital MUST READ!!!
- The Partnership: The Making of Goldman Sachs Updated and Revised Edition MUST READ!!!
- The Einstein of Money MUST READ!!!
- Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future MUST READ!!! One of the best books I’ve ever read. It could fit in multiple categories here. It talks about everything from corporate governance, start up mindset, founders mind set, mental models, policy, behavioral finance, etc. An amazing book
- Warren Buffett’s Ground Rules: Words of Wisdom from the Partnership Letters of the World’s Greatest Investor MUST READ!!!
- Why Should White Guys Have All The Fun? Biography of Reginald Lewis MUST READ!!!
- The Billionaire Who Wasn’t MUST READ!!!
- The Man Who Owns The News: Inside the Secret World of Rupert Murdoch
- Dynasties of the Sea: The Shipowners and Financiers Who Expanded the Era of Free Trade
- Henry Singleton Resource Page Via Valuewalk MUST READ!!! This link has more than a dozen resources, links, and presentations included in the article about Singleton
- Teledyne and a Case Study of an Excellent Capital Allocator MUST READ!!!
- A Dozen Things I’ve Learned From Henry Singleton MUST READ!!!
- A Case Study Of Financial Brilliance Via Leon Cooperman about Singleton MUST READ!!!
- The Warren Buffett CEO MUST READ!!!
Competitive Advantages/Competitive Strategy
- Competiton Demystified MUST READ!!!
- Only The Paranoid Survive
- The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More
- Repeatability: Build Enduring Businesses for a World of Constant Change
- Profit from the Core: A Return to Growth in Turbulent Times
- CEOs Don’t Care Enough About Capital Allocation MUST READ!!!
- All Strategy Is Local MUST READ!!!
- Competitive Advantage Period MUST READ!!!
- Understanding Competitive Advantage
- Pricing Power: Illuminated
- Good Strategy/Bad Strategy MUST READ!!!
- The Red Corner Blog Case Study On Kraftwerk MUST READ!!! A look at economies of scale and how Wal-Mart changed its industry and made a ton of money
- Warren Buffett on his Investment in See’s MUST READ!!! See’s is one of his favorite all time investments and I think his reasons for investing should be studied by every investor
- The Secret’s of See’s Candies MUST READ!!! An extensive profile of the business, why Buffett bought it, why it is such a good business, its new expansion plans, and how Buffett and Munger almost blew the investment
- The IKEA Edge: Building Global Growth and Social Good at the World’s Most Iconic Home Store
- The Art of the Start 2.0: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything MUST READ!!!
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things: Building a Business When There Are No Easy Answers MUST READ!!!
- 48 Laws of Power
All the following are in no particular order. And all are designated as MUST READS!!!
- Berkshire Hathaway Shareholder Letters
- The Brooklyn Investor: So What Is Berkshire Really Worth (Part 1)
- The Brooklyn Investor: So What Is Berkshire Really Worth (Part 2)
- The Brooklyn Investor: So What Is Berkshire Really Worth (Part 3)
- The Brooklyn Investor: So What Is Berkshire Really Worth (Part 4)
- Shookrun.com: Buffett On Insurance
- Losch Management: Insurance Float
- Bronstein Report: Estimating Berkshire Hathaway’s Intrinsic Value
- Warren Buffett Explains The Genius Of Float
- Warren Buffett Plays The Float With Blue Chip Stamps And Private Jets….And Wins
- Berkshire Hathaway Worth Its SALT Part 1
- Berkshire Hathaway Worth Its SALT 2012 Update – Part 2
- Buffett On Insurance And Investing: Its About The Float
- Presentation on Moats and Float
- Flirting With Float Part 1
- Flirting With Float Part 2
- Flirting With Float Part 3
- Understanding Insurance Float
My posts about float
- Charlie Munger On Deferred Tax Liabilities and Intrinsic Value – On Float Part 1
- What Is Float? On Float Part 2
- Buffett’s Alpha Notes – The Power of Float – On Float Part 3
- How To Find Float On The Balance Sheet – On Float Part 4
- How Does Float Affect Valuation? On Float Part 5
- Is Float Ever Bad? On Float Part 6
- Conclusion and Further Recommended Reading – On Float Part 7
- On Float The 60 Page Book
- The Psychology Of Human Misjudgment MUST READ!!!
- A Lesson On Elementary Worldly Wisdom MUST READ!!!
- Mindset MUST READ!!!
- Understanding Behavioral Biases in Finance and Investing MUST READ!!!
- Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking MUST READ!!!
- The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science MUST READ!!!
- “Economic Man” to Behavioral Economics
- Outsmart Your Own Biases
- Adopting A Proper Psychological Attitude MUST READ!!!
- Pitfalls To Avoid
- The Power of Habit MUST READ!!!
- Moonwalking With Einstein MUST READ!!!
- Willpower: Rediscovering The Greatest Human Strength MUST READ!!!
- The Four Hour Work Week MUST READ!!!
- Choose Yourself MUST READ!!!
- The Obstacle Is The Way MUST READ!!!
- Playing For Keeps – Michael Jordan and the World He Made
- Virtual Freedom: How to Work with Virtual Staff to Buy More Time, Become More Productive, and Build Your Dream Business
- The 10X Rule MUST READ!!!
- The Art of Learning: An Inner Journey to Optimal Performance MUST READ!!! One of the best books I’ve ever read. Period
- The Magic Of Thinking Big MUST READ!!!
- Messi MUST READ!!!
- Learn Or Die MUST READ!!!
- The One Thing – The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results MUST READ!!!
- Multipliers – How The Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter MUST READ!!!
- Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success MUST READ!!!
- Tribal Leadership MUST READ!!!
- Fanatical Prospecting
- Be Obsessed Or Be Average MUST READ!!!
- Sell Or Be Sold
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You MUST READ!!!
- Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers MUST READ!!!
- Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance MUST READ!!!
- Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else MUST READ!!!
- The Perfect Swarm: The Science of Complexity In Everyday Life
- Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us
- The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons: The History of the Human Brain as Revealed by True Stories of Trauma, Madness, and Recovery MUST READ!!!
- How to Measure Anything: Finding the Value of Intangibles in Business
- You Are Not Your Brain: The 4-Step Solution for Changing Bad Habits, Ending Unhealthy Thinking, and Taki ng Control of Your Life
Financial History/Regular History/Biographies
- Tulipomania MUST READ!!!
- Guns, Germs, and Steel
- The House Of Gucci
- In Their Time: The Greatest Business Leaders Of The Twentieth Century MUST READ!!! One of the best historical books I’ve ever read in any category. Probably the best business history book
- The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger
- The Fortune At The Bottom of the Pyramid MUST READ!!!
- Monsoon: The Indian Ocean and the Future of American Power MUST READ!!!
- A Short History of Cambodia: From Empire to Survival MUST READ!!!
- Benjamin Franklin by Walter Isaacson
- The Sugar Barons: Family, Corruption, Empire, and War in the West Indies MUST READ!!!
- The Google Story
- Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla: Biography of a Genius
- Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future MUST READ!!!
- Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist MUST READ!!!
- Jim Clayton: First a Dream MUST READ!!!
- Give: The Ultimate Guide To Using Facebook Advertising to Generate More Leads, More Clients, and Massive ROI
- #AskGaryVee: One Entrepreneur’s Take on Leadership, Social Media, and Self-Awareness MUST READ!!!
- The Power of Broke: How Empty Pockets, a Tight Budget, and a Hunger for Success Can Become YourGreatest Competitive Advantage MUST READ!!!
- Everything from the beginning on csinvesting.org MUST READ!!!
- Everything on oldschoolvalue.com
- Everything from the beginning on The Red Corner Blog. MUST READ!!!
- Everything on this blog about company MOAT and FLOAT, especially the stuff by The Fundoo Professor and The Brooklyn Investor
- Sahara Investing
- Oddball Stocks MUST READ!!!
- Gannon and Hoang On Investing MUST READ!!!
- Whopper Investments
- Punch Card Blog MUST READ!!!
- Safal Niveshek Blog MUST READ!!! Absolutely amazing information throughout the entire life of the blog
- Aswath Damodaran’s Blog
- Monte Sol Capital
- Wexboy’s Value Blog
- Student of Value
- The Fundoo Professor (Sanjay Bakshi’s) Blog MUST READ!!!
- Contrarian Ville
Videos, Sites to Help With Research, Etc Sites, Specific Discussions
- The Value Investors Club If you are not a member of this site you can get guest access for free where you are able to see ideas that are 45 days and older
- Videos that teach basic concepts of investing like PE, book value, capital expenditures, etc. Great for beginning value investors and brought to you in collaboration with the Soni Brothers
- Discussion of Maintenance Cap Ex Versus Growth Cap Ex
- Hedge Fund Letters
- Sanjay Bakshi (The Fundoo Professor) Talks and Interviews MUST READ!!!
- Insider Monkey
- finviz.com Great stock screener
- Financial Times Stock Screener Another excellent stock screener, especially for foreign companies
- mises.org Talks about Libertarian ideals and principles
- morningstar.com Great site to help do research on companies, find their filings, insider information, etc.
- Investopedia.com The best site to learn new investing terms
- Bakedesuyo Blog I found this site and wish I would have known about it for a long time. After finding this blog at one point I had 40+ tabs open on my phones browser for articles I wanted to read.
I’m still reading everything I want and have already added 20+ book recommendations to my to read list.
Amazing site with more than 250,000 subscribers as of this writing that “This site brings you science-based answers and expert insight on how to be awesome at life.” MUST READ!!!
Let me know in the comments below about some of your favorite resources to learn from.
P.S If you want to get every post like this in the future please subscribe for free here.
P.P.S. I put on a FREE webinar last Thursday teaching The 3 Secrets That Have Helped Me Beat Buffett In The Stock Market, so you can possibly do the same. If you’d like to sign up for FREE to view the replay of the webinar, you can do so here.